Officially confirmed – making a pitstop in Japan for a week before continuing on to Beijing and mainland PRC for 3 months.
Goals for Tokyo:
- get lost on subway
- take pictures of shiny lights
- eat sushi on one of those carousel things
- get sick of sushi and vow never to eat it again
- view Mt. Fuji from Lake Yamanaka
- sleep on a yatami mat on the floor
- sleep in an 8′ x 2′ x 2′ room
- shinkansen bullet train to Kyoto
- Tsujukiji Fish Market fo’ sho’
- Imperial Palace and Asakusa and Ueno (pagodas and stuff)
- take more pictures of Japanese signs that probably mean something incredibly mundane like “street cleaning”
- karaoke with presumed new friends while making sure they pick up the Ichiban bill
- bow continuously
- pretend to love J-pop but secretly idolize K-pop
- sake in little ceramic vials
- eat more sushi
Also, a side note that I’m sure very few people care about. I’m flying into Tokyo-Narita, Japan’s main international gateway, via Dallas/Ft. Worth, which is so far from central Tokyo. However, I was able to get on to Japan Airlines 23 leaving from Tokyo-Haneda, the busiest, mostly-domestic airport in Japan, when I leave the country for the People’s Republic.
Anyway, sorry for all the minutia. World is on break for about 2 months until East Asia. See you then.